Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My hair is getting a little too long and I decided to have a hair cut. I told my hubby that it's going to be a challenging experience. I don't know how to tell the hair dresser for the desired hair style. However, my hubby had a good idea about finding a model that I like on the internet and print it out (what a smart husband!). It would be much easier for me to show a picture rather than trying to speak in Kurdish on how I want them to do my hair.

Another challenge is, I need a special place for women as I feel more comfortable and also because I wear hijab (head scarf).  In Jakarta, Indonesia, it is quite easy to find one. Most salons provide two places, one for gender mixed (for those who don't mind to be handled by male hair dresser/interact with male staffs), the other one is a room special for women.

So, I decided to do a bit survey. I went to the Ramada Salon (near Ramada Hotel in Saleem Street). The staffs speak English. They have male and female hairdressers (I think working in a salon is quite okay for males here, the same as in Jakarta). Unfortunately, it only has one mixed gender room. The price is 30,000 Iraqi Dinar, a bit expensive for a hair cut.  The second place I asked was  Glamour Salon in Bakhtiary Taza. This salon is close to the pshyiotherapy center where my hubby got treatment for his injured back. The place is quite small, located on the second floor building.

Glamour Salon
A stair to the salon
When I got inside, there were a male and a female hairdressers with 3 female customers. They don't speak English at all. I used a hand sign to let them know that I wanted the female staff to cut my hair. The lady asked me, muslim? I nodded. Then, she prepared a panel to cover me when I had my hair washed.
A panel to cover me
Inside the salon
After washing my hair, she took me to a smaller room next to the main room (I forgot to take a picture of the room, sorry). It is actually a place for facial care but it seems they can use it for any purpose. I showed the model picture and she started to cut my hair. The result is ok, a little bit different from the model though, but I don't mind. I am fine with it. It costs 20,000 Iraqi Dinar...I am happy and the mission accomplished !!! 

Life works in mysterious ways . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates