Monday, April 06, 2015

March 16 was a big day for us and Ginger. I took her at 9 am to the veterinarian to be spayed. She refused to get shot for total anaesthetic, she fought us and it took sometime for her to get sleepy. After she slept, the doctor trimmed her coat and started to operate her.  She got seizures during the operation, thus the doctor added the dose of the anaesthetic through injection and inhalation (a kind of chloroform I suppose, not so sure how to call this). Ginger urinated on the operation table. I was getting worried and the doctor looked tired too. It was a traditional spay type of operation, the area to be opened and stitched were quite massive.  It lasted for 2 hours, he said it was a painful operation. Likewise, it was a painful experience for me to see it.  The spayed cost 150,000 Iraqi Dinnar. After the operation completed, I took Ginger home. She was unconscious, bleeding,  little bit cold, wet, and with an Elizabteh collar (cone) around her neck.  The doctor said, I should bring her everyday to his clinic to get antibiotic shoots for at least 9-10 days and after that we could remove her stitches.  I texted my hubby to get a room  ready with an electric heater for her. The anaesthetic made her temperature and blood pressure very low, we need to make her warm as much as possible.

Ginger on the operation table
Post Operation 
At home, we were so worried because Ginger lost a lot of blood and she was still unconscious. It took about 2 hours to pull her self together and another 4 hours to enable her to walk. In total, it took 6 hours to recover from the anaesthetic influence.  At night, she vomited  several times and I learnt my mistake, I should have made her fast at least 24 hours before operation if not, she may be choked by the food. Thank God, Ginger made it through the critical phase. In the next day, she did not really want to eat, still weak, but the bleeding had stopped.  I brought her to the doctor everyday. My hubby was very concern about type of the stitches, but we didn't think something bad may happen.

Removing Stitches and the Break Down
March 23, we removed Ginger's stitches. This time, I made her fast. The doctor gave her total anaesthetic. The process was short and I took Ginger home unconscious (again), poor girl. At home, we put her near an electric heater and shortly she started to pull her self together again. She urinated on the floor because she was too dizzy to walk to her litter box. I left her in the room alone, cleaning our apartment and talk to Natia on the phone. Not long after that, we heard a loud meowing. My hubby opened the door  and I saw her walking with intestines out!!! The stitched skin broke down!! I was so shocked, I grabbed her to prevent her  from moving. My hubby immediately took a clean towel and put Ginger inside a carrier. I called taxi and we went to the doctor. I was so stressed and my hubby said "dont look at the process at all". I leaned on my hubby's big arms in that place. 

Journey to Recover
It took about 2 hours to stitch Ginger (again). We took her home unconscious, bleeding, wet, and cold. We put two electric heaters around her and I did my best to dry her coat. It took 4 hours to get conscious, she tried to walk, fell down, and the blood was keep coming. We decided to wrap her belly with a small towel. My hubby and I took turn to watch her, we couldn't sleep at all. In the next day, Ginger was so weak and we didn't dare to take out the towel from her belly. My hubby tried to find out any vets in Erbil, and I called Natia to ask if she knew any veterinarian in Sulaimania. Edith, our neighbour, knocked our door and offered her help. She asked people around and at the end we got two references. One was a private doctor in the bazaar and the second was a hospital for animal (Khastakani beterinari) but I was worried about the facilities in the hospital.

After being re-stitched

Meeting the Doctor
Edith took us to the vets. We had made appointment with a doctor in the bazaar, but he didn't show up. We waited for 2 hours and no sign of him coming. Then we decided to go to the Animal Hospital. Luckily, the doctor was available. We waited for a while and a nice lady came, she's the doctor! We got the feeling that she loves animal. She handled Ginger gently and looked at the stomach. She said it seemed good but we need to take Ginger again for antibiotics shoots everyday and spray antiseptics called Limoxin-25 (purple liquids) on the stitches.  

Removing the Stitches (again)
5 April, we took Ginger to the Veterinary Hospital (Khastakani Veterinary). The doctor prefers not to use anaesthetic and we agreed. Ginger was so afraid and fought us, but then she got calm. She finally let us to handle her.  It was a good decision for not using the anaesthetic. Today is the second day for Ginger after her stitches removed. We need to keep her collar until tomorrow. I want to restrict her movement for another 2 weeks, because I heard that another cat  which had similar operation experience hernia (due to the bad stitches and traditional operation method). We did our best to take care this furry creature and pray to God to ask His protection. 

Life works in mysterious ways . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates